Saturday, January 17, 2009

Memory Triggers

Isn't it amazing what can trigger a memory?

Usually a song will trigger one for me. If I hear a certain song, it will take me to an event, party or certain time in my life.

This evening I was watching a show with my family. Not so unusual but then the host went into the audience. He started speaking to this older lady. It took me a minute to figure out who she looked like and then memories started surfacing quickly.

She looked like Beatrice, the widow that lived behind my grandparent's house. I started remembering her chatting over the hedge with all of us. My grandmother and her would always be laughing and talking while they were hanging laundry outside.

What memory came next? Oh, the smell of clean laundry hanging on the line, running in and out of the sheets, handing clothes pins to grandma, playing in her backyard and much more.

All these memories flooded my mind just from seeing someone that resembled this old neighbor.

Have you had that happen to you?

Colleen Degnan Johnson
CMJ Office

2 comments:

Becky Jamison said...

I love it when that happens! Yes, it's happened to me a lot. Great post, Colleen!

Thomas MacEntee said...

It has happened to me several times and usually the trigger is smell. To this day when I smell the perfume Emeraude, which was my great-grandmother's favorite, I just stop, think, remember, and then smile. Those that witness it either have no idea or they are perplexed but it is a private moment that I cherish.