Friday, January 9, 2009

Photo Friday and Genea-Blogger Week 1 Prompt


My favorite picture has to be a picture of my paternal great grandfather, Alfred Richard Bench. It was taken in 1941 for his naturalization paperwork in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He immigrated from England to the USA in December 1909.

This happens to be my favorite picture because it was my first major genealogy discovery regarding my father's family. My father didn't know either of his immigrant grandparents nor had he seen any pictures of them. I was merely trying to find out as much information as I could about this individual. I never expected to get his picture and autograph.

It was a memorable find for me and that's why it's my favorite picture.

Colleen Johnson, CMJ

3 comments:

Judith Richards Shubert said...

This is a wonderful find. What I wouldn't give to find something like this. Liked your post.

Nikki-ann said...

What a great find! :) I can see why this is one of your favourite pictures (along with his signature).

Lisa said...

Great photo and story, Colleen. I hope you'll share about your Irish immigrant ancestors at our upcoming Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture. You have an interesting family history.

Lisa