Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Irish Stew the Anna Clune Finnegan Way

My grandmother, Anna Clune Finnegan, was an amazing cook. In fact, that is how she was employed when she reached the United States. She lived and cooked for a judge and his family on the east side of Providence, Rhode Island.

I love this Irish stew. It was passed down to my mom and then to me. It has become a family tradition and I'm happy to report that my children (very picky eaters) have embraced this too.

You can make this stew with either lamb or beef. My grandmother always did this with lamb but I use beef. It's good either way.

Irish Stew

1-2 pounds cubed stew beef or lamb
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons veggie oil
6 cups hot water
3 bay leaves
4 potatoes - cut
6 carrots - diced
1 onion - chopped
1/2 cup celery
season with salt and pepper to taste

(I have added corn and green beans to this stew for my family [1 can each - I try to cook quickly]. You can add whatever you'd prefer. To keep it Irish, you would only use the meat, potatoes, onions and carrots.)

1. Roll the meat in the flour while heating the oil in your 5 quart pot.
2. Brown the meat in the oil and drain.
3. Pour the hot water into the pot with the meat. Heat setting should be high.
4. Add the bay leaves and seasonings.
5. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer with lid on for 2 hours. Stir every 15 minutes.
6. Add veggies and continue to simmer for one more hour.

You can add flour to thicken your stew.

I hope you enjoy!

Colleen Degnan Johnson
CMJ Office
Fantasy Face Painting

2 comments:

ceadmilefailte said...

Hi! I'm visiting from the parade. I love Irish stew and your recipe looks great! I'm going to give it a try!

Colleen Johnson, CMJ Office said...

This stew is awesome! I always throw some garlic and onion powder too. No measurements for that. Just season to taste. Hope you like it and thanks for reading.