Friday, March 13, 2009

Sister Mary Peter working in Southern Australia

I am searching for any information regarding Sister Mary Peter. She was part of the clergy who worked in Southern Australia during the 1960's and the 1970's. She was either born in Ireland or England.

What was her family name or birth name? Well, that is the million dollar question! I believe this woman was either an aunt or cousin to my grandmother, Julia Mary Bench Degnan.

This could take us down the road to the Bench relations from Birmingham, England; or this could take us towards the Donahue family from Ireland. My father seems to believe that Sister Peter was a Donahue relation. So, she would be a sister to Margaret Donahue Maher Bench or a niece which would make her a first cousin to my grandmother.

I find it nearly impossible to believe Sister Peter was an aunt to grandma. Why? Mainly due to the years that I am researching. I remember clearly receiving a First Communion gift from Australia and that was in 1976. Margaret Donahue was born in Ireland around 1876. This could be her sister but highly unlikely. This takes me down the cousin track which makes this more difficult.

If anyone has any ideas for searching Sister Mary Peter or has any info on her, please let me know. I really don't have much. I don't know what order she was in but do know that she was Catholic due to the crucifix within this picture.

Thanks for any help or information. Sorry that the picture isn't clearer but my scanner is on the skids.

Colleen Degnan Johnson
CMJ Office
Fantasy Face Painting

1 comment:

JoLyn said...

Great idea to post your photos and questions - I have a mystery grandpa. I need to do the same thing!