Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jolly Cholly's Funland


This is a painting of the old Jolly Cholly's Funland in North Attleboro, MA.




The picture above is what is left of the park's entrance sign. Very sad in my opinion.


This was a very popular park but has been closed since 1979 and most of it is a vacant lot except for a few buildings that host condominiums. After thirty years I would think something would be built on the remaining land.


Jolly Cholly's Funland
171 East Washington Street
North Attleboro, Massachusetts

Operated from 1950s to 1979.

History: The park occupied 12 acres. The Ferris Wheel, Kiddie Whip, Merry-Go-Round, kiddie boats, kiddie buggies and Sky Fighter were added in 1959 and in 1960 the roller coaster, Roadway ride and 1865 Train were added.

My dad was there quite a bit throughout his youth as he was from Pawtucket, RI and lived nearby. In fact, after one of his family visits my grandmother discovered she had diabetes. My father stated that they were driving up to her cousins house in Cambridge, MA, when she had her first attack. What brought it on? The monster of a hot fudge sundae that she had at Jolly Cholly's.

I remember loving my visits to the park even though it closed when I was only 9. I especially loved their mile long hot dogs. I did have one bad experience there. I lost my favorite red spring jacket at the park. My first 6 skating badges were sewn onto it's sleeves and I remember crying for days over that loss. My poor mother!


It definitely was a great place once upon a time. If you'd like to see some pictures from 1959 of Jolly Cholly's, check this site out. The current picture and info used can be found here.

Colleen Degnan Johnson
CMJ Office

4 comments:

Bill West said...

This reminds me of the now vanished
Kings Castleland park on Route 18
in Whitman that is now gone. Part of
it is now the parking lot for the
new Super Stop & Shop.

Bill

Colleen Johnson, CMJ Office said...

It's sad how all these great kiddie parks have been lost. I have a few more to write about.

Two that have remained are Santa's Village and Story Land up in NH. I'm soooo happy that they are still surviving.

Matt said...

I remember Jolly Chollys very well. When you r a kid from Providence, North Attleboro was like the country back then. You know u r getting old when u keep saying "I remember this place before x was built ..."
I try to explain to 20 somethings t work that it really was a great time to be a kid in the 70's then into the 80's because we had the freedom to actually do permanent damage to ones self. It sounds sick but I like to think that the scars we bear, both inside and out, make us who we are. I had the neatest toys and the world wasn't in some sugar fed ADHD cycle like it is today.
I grew up just being a kid and loved it but I still miss the Bananna Splits and Creature double feature on channel 56

johnw said...

Hi Coleen,
Your site brings back memories. I ran the Ferris Wheel at Jolly Cholly's from about 1965 to 1967. I may have given you a ride.