Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ireland's 1911 and 1901 Census Records

I'm finally getting back into my genealogy research. I've been viewing the 1911 Census records. I really don't get much out of them as I have all of my family information from this time. Both my grandparents are listed. It is kind of neat to view them though.

I'm really looking forward to the 1901 Census records. They are due to be digitized in late 2009 through mid 2010. I cannot wait.

My Finegan's were still in Co. Monaghan at this time and I really don't have much on them. They came to America between 1904 and 1911. So, I have my fingers crossed that once these records are up that I will uncover some more family facts.

View records and info here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/index.html

Colleen Degnan Johnson

3 comments:

LisaK1981 said...

-I have a question... my mother and father say that my ancestry is Irish and my last name from my father is Walker, but the problem is that neither one of my parents know anything about any side of our geneology and history before their grandparents.

Colleen Degnan Johnson said...

So many questions that can go back to you and your parents right now. Are they basing the Irish ancestory on the name? Did they hear this info from their parents? Is there a family story from Ireland?

I'm lucky to still have my family members in Ireland on my mother's side.

That being said, I was in the same situation with my father's side. We were told by my grandfather that the family was Irish, English and Scottish with part of it coming down from Canada. All this was without proof. It was just a story until I researched it all. Now I have the proof; and yes, Degnan is Irish. LOL

LisaK1981 said...

Well We are Walker's on my dad's side. I looked up the name and it is Irish, but most of what we know is what little was told to my father from his parents. Supposedly we come from an upper class family that was there before the famine. Nobody likes to talk about it.